Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Emotional Intelligence


Source: https://hbr.org/resources/images/article_assets/2017/01/W170124_GOLEMAN_EMOTIONALINTELLIGENCE.png 

1.     Select three competencies you feel very confident in, ones you feel you command well. For each, describe an example of how you've used it recently. How did it go?

Considering my personal strengths and where they lie within the twelve competencies associated with emotional and social intelligence, the three that I feel that I command well include:

·       Achievement Orientation: According to the Korn Ferry Institute, when we’re strong in the Achievement Orientation competency, we strive to meet or exceed a standard of excellence. We look for ways to learn how to do things better. We set challenging goals and take calculated risks. Personally, this fits very well with my reasoning to pursue an MBA degree. I already hold a Master of Arts in Educational Leadership as well as 30 hours beyond that MAEd to attain certification as a supervisor of instruction and director of pupil personnel. I felt that in my current role as STEM outreach director the skills I could acquire in leadership, management, etc. from an MBA could certainly bolster the work I am doing. In addition to this, we all know how well the public education sector fared last spring during the legislative session here in KY. Having a degree that gives me an option to pursue a career outside of education isn’t a bad option to have for the future. Looking at this competency in my current work and my work as a classroom teacher, I never settle for less than the very best. I was very achievement driven in the classroom and strived to make my classroom one of the best and from the awards I received, the success of my students, and the relationships I forged with them, this hard work paid off.
o   More information about this competency can be found here: https://www.kornferry.com/institute/achievement-orientation

·       Adaptability: Adaptability entails having the flexibility to adapt to new situations, handle change, and balance multiple demands. An adaptable leader can meet challenges as they arise and adjust their strategy based on what is needed most. They are comfortable with the uncertainty that leadership can bring. Working 13 years as a middle grades science teacher, adaptability comes as second nature. In the world of a classroom teacher, being adaptable is key to success. Even in my current work as the STEM Outreach Director here at NKU, adaptability enables me to do my job and do it well. For example, in one of our recent professional development sessions, the school apparently was not notified by the district administrator in charge of scheduling the sessions and when we showed up with teachers from every school in the district, they were certainly surprised and not in a good way. We had no room to present in and the only empty room was on the third floor of the section of the building that did not have elevator access. I told them to not worry that we could certainly transport our materials (2 wagons full of bins of science supplies) and set up there for the day. This is typical of many situations we encounter in our work in outreach. You learn to fly by the seat of pants while still maintaining control of the situation.

·       Coach and Mentor: The ability to foster the long-term learning or development of others by giving feedback, guidance, and support.  Leaders skilled at this competency have a genuine interest in helping others develop further strengths. They understand the person’s goals, give timely constructive feedback, and offer challenges that will provide growth opportunities. As a teacher and now as a professional development provider in my role as the STEM Outreach director, I learned to foster this skill early on in my professional career and have worked to fine tune it since then. I love the part of my job where I get to mentor and work with new teachers and teachers new to teaching science. Sharing the passion I have for the content is my favorite part of the job.

2.     Select three competencies you feel are opportunities for you to improve, ones you feel need work. Identify a way you can practice this competency (look at your calendar for meetings or events where certain competencies may be most useful) and commit to practicing it. You practice plan for each competency should include:
o   the situation/meeting/event where you plan to use it
o   what you'll do to keep it top of mind 
o   what behaviors you'll use to develop this area

·       Empathy: This competency forms the basis of social awareness and relationship management. Empathy means having the ability to sense others’ feelings and how they see things. Leaders skilled at empathy take an active interest in the concerns of others, pick up cues to what’s being felt and thought, and sense unspoken emotions. They listen attentively to understand the other person’s point of view and can communicate effectively with many different types of people. Personally, this is something I have always felt was a weakness of mine when it comes to leadership. I often keep to myself and would rather not be drawn into the issues that others are dealing with. I am currently dealing with developing this competency in dealing with a co-worker at work that has been sick beyond what most would consider a normal amount of time. There always seems to be something wrong with this individual or with one of their children/family members, almost to the point where it affects their quality of work. I’ve not said anything up until now because I usually make up for their shortcomings in the outreach work we conduct. I reached out to my director who is working with me on coming up with a tracking system for this employee to chart their days missed and come to the agreement that missed time will be made up. Salaried faculty that are 9 month employees really don’t get sick days but it doesn’t seem fair to everyone else that one person continually misses work.
o   More information can be found here on empathy: https://www.keystepmedia.com/empathy/

·       Teamwork: This is the ability to work with others toward a shared goal, participating actively, sharing responsibility and rewards, and contributing to the capability of the team. While on one hand, I feel that I am rather good at working with teams, this is certainly an area I feel as if I could grow professionally. When it comes to getting work done, frankly, I’d rather just do it myself, even if it means more work on my part. I know that a team approach can offer great insight and a variety of ideas but on the other hand I also hate the feeling that some people aren’t making much of a contribution while others are doing the majority of the work. I suppose this stems from past experiences in working on teams where I was the one that burdened that workload to ensure our success on a project. My strength in being achievement orientated works against me in this aspect. In my department, we are working on finding ways to put together a STEM expo for elementary schools that we partner with. My plan is to get a group of our colleagues together and help direct everyone towards contributing to make this project a success. I would much rather step back and let others contribute more versus having to do all of the work myself. I think the approach of really creating an atmosphere where respect, helpfulness, and cooperation are highly valued as is the concept of getting everyone on board with the common goal in mind of completing this project.

·       Organizational Awareness: Organizational Awareness means having the ability to read a group's emotional currents and power relationships, and identify influencers, networks, and dynamics within the organization. Despite having been at NKU for 3 years, I still feel as if I am growing in this strength as a leader. There are still faces I don’t know and that’s not surprising. Part of the issue I feel stems from the fact that as the STEM Outreach Director, most of my work takes place with school districts off campus. I have set aside one day per week where I am always on campus from 8-4 p.m. and that has really improved things this year with regards to being available for campus wide events, etc. Still, I think there are opportunities where I could be more involved in what is going on here on campus. In the upcoming months, I plan to try and become involved in more of the offerings for faculty such as lunch and learn seminars, college wide meetings, etc. I am purposefully leaving portions of my calendar open to allow more time on campus for these events. Having connections at work are vital to one’s success and I think that is an area where I could see great gains professionally should I make more of them.
o   More information on organizational awareness can be found here: https://www.kornferry.com/institute/organizational-awareness-leadership


Resources:



Here is a fantastic video to help clarify the meaning of the 12 elements of emotional and social intelligence:


No comments:

Post a Comment