Sunday, November 4, 2018

Character Strengths


This week I had the chance to evaluate my character strengths using the VIA Character Survey that can be found at http://www.viacharacter.org. In taking this survey my top 5 character strengths were:



·       Curiosity: “Mastering new skills, topics, and bodies of knowledge, whether on one's own or formally; related to the strength of curiosity but goes beyond it to describe the tendency to add systematically to what one knows.”

When I think about myself and this trait, it is certainly one that has always guided what drives me. I love learning new things, seeing new places, and exploring this great big world. Recently, my husband and I took a weekend away to Las Vegas. While most people would spend the majority of their time in the city doing what you do when you go to Vegas, I took it as a chance to see some really amazing geologic features I had read about. One of my favorite spots to explore while we were there was the Valley of Fire State Park. We spent hours hiking and driving to see all the amazing formations this park had to offer. This is no different than most other trips I've taken where I took the chance to take the "road less traveled" and learn about this beautiful planet we get to call home.

·       Love of Learning: Mastering new skills, topics, and bodies of knowledge, whether on one's own or formally; related to the strength of curiosity but goes beyond it to describe the tendency to add systematically to what one knows.

It's no wonder as an educator that the love of learning was one of my top strengths. I thrive on learning new things. I love reading non-fiction books, especially biographies and books about personal growth and leadership. I take every opportunity given to attend lectures and conferences that can help me improve and grow both personally and professionally. 


·       Judgment: Thinking things through and examining them from all sides; not jumping to conclusions; being able to change one's mind in light of evidence; weighing all evidence fairly.

As a farmer, the strength of judgment is invaluable. Making decisions that are in the best interest of the operation, best interest of animal welfare, and finding ways to think things through without worrying about every single thing is certainly a skill you have to learn to utilize. Keeping an open mind and using the best information you have to make the best decision when the pressure is on.

·       Zest: Approaching life with excitement and energy; not doing things halfway or halfheartedly; living life as an adventure; feeling alive and activated.

Living life to it's fullest is what I strive to do. Zest is a way of ‘approaching life with excitement and energy and from that, I try to bring a sense of excitment into everything I do. I have a true passion for my work both at NKU and on the farm and that is what drives me. I take opportunities when they come my way and strive to make things fun. When traveling for work or pleasure, I always opt to try out new places and meet new people. Mingling with the locals is something I love to do best when I travel. Getting new perspectives on life and the world really make you appreciate things. 

·       Perspective: Being able to provide wise counsel to others; having ways of looking at the world that make sense to oneself/others.

As the director of my team it's important that I find ways to provide great feedback to my colleagues and do so in a way that supports them and builds them up while at the same time moving us all forward towards success! In my role as a parent and a spouse this strength is also vital to forging lasting relationships. Offering ways of looking at situations that might be different or provide an alternate viewpoint can help others through difficulties they may face.



In the course I am currently completing in the pursuit of my MBA at Northern Kentucky University, we were asked to consider how these strengths apply to what we do at work.



 Reading through these many of them really made sense and clicked when I thought about myself. 

A great video to review these strengths and the science behind them can be found here:



No comments:

Post a Comment